SALON APPRENTICESHIP EXPEREINCE PART 1

hairport-beauty-salon-and-spa in Nigeria

This is an article about my salon apprenticeship experience in Nigeria. It is going to be in parts and I don't know how many parts it is going to be, just relax and enjoy my story.

I have always wanted to know how to make hair, basically, because I keep a natural hair and if you are a naturalista you would know that it is essential but not compulsory to know how to make the basic type of hairstyles such as cornrows (weaven), inverted cornrows (didi), mini twist (twisting) and the likes. To comfortably protect your hair in protective styles, it is essential to know these basic hairstyles.

Most hairstylists in Nigeria do not have an in-depth knowledge of the natural hair, so when you take your hair to them they handle it as they like. They even handle the weaves (wigs) better than your natural hair.

I wanted to learn how to make hair to avoid going to the salon every now and then when I need a simple protective style. To learn it fast and quick, plus for me to be serious about it I will need to pay to be an apprentice at a salon. I said to myself since I was paying why don't I just learn the whole hair thing, like learning how to make hair like a professional, not just simple hairstyles. So, I dedicated one Saturday for doing market (salon) research. I left the office as early as 7:30 am to embark on this journey. You guys know I sleep in the office Friday through Saturday. 

beauty hair salon interior

I went first to a shop that was recommended by a friend. My friend said the place is endorsed by NYSC and that the hairstylist usually have many customers and in addition to hair making she also does makeup. Therefore, I went here first.


Salon 1

I got to the location of the store but it wasn't opened yet. I got the stylist number from the banner in front of her shop, and then I called her. I told her I wanted to learn how to make hair and asked how much it will cost me. She said she can't teach me hair alone that I have to learn all, which includes makeup and nails, then she said for hair, makeup and nails I will pay ₦30,000 plus ₦2,000 for registration form. I tried bargaining with her but she was insistent.

hair-salon-shop

Salon 2

I went looking for another salon. This salon is located at a bus stop; the place is always crowded with apprentices and sometimes with clients. I met an apprentice, I asked if her boss was around she said no but that she will be arriving soon. She offered me a seat and then she called the boss, after ending the call she told me that her boss was on the way. I waited for more than an hour before the boss finally arrived.

I told her I wanted to learn how to make hair, makeup, and nails. She said ₦30,000 plus ₦2,000 for registration form. I thought to myself, it's like this is a hairdressers association thing oh, why else are they all saying the same thing. I asked what if I was learning just hair, she said that will be ₦15,000. 

She told me that learning just hair is not going to be of many benefits to me, she asked if after learning I want to go commercial I said yes although that's not the truth I wanted to learn how to make hair for myself and maybe immediate family. She said learning everything (hair, makeup and nails) will be better for me that I should pay ₦25,000 minus ₦2,000 for the form.

Immediately my bargaining spirit jumped in, if she can reduce the amount then it is not really an association thing and that she can reduce it further. I told her I was a student and I am just struggling to make ends meet, that I can only afford ₦15,000 to learn it all. She replied "ah no", that the best she can do for me is to collect ₦20,000. I thought ₦20,000 for hair, make up, and nails minus ₦2,000 for form, then this is a good bargain but the bargaining spirit in me still said I might find somewhere I could get a cheaper price for it all. Off to another salon, I went.

Beauty Salon

Salon 3

This salon is not far from my place of work, it is "trekable", so I was factoring the fact that I am not going to have to spend money on transport. This salon is not as big as the other ones but it got the stuff I need. 

It's a Saturday morning at about 9am, the salon isn't opened yet, I got the number from the billboard in front of the shop and I called the stylist. I told her that I wanted to learn how to make hair; she said this is not a thing to be discussed on the phone that she will be at the shop at 10am. I said ok that I was going to wait. One thing about me is that when I set my mind to do something I like to finish it once I start.

So I decided to wait for her, this was about 9:30am. At 10am I went to the shop, found it opened, I met some of the apprentices, I asked for their madam and they said she will be there soon. The madam came about 15 minutes later, she got into the shop prayed and then came out to meet me. I told her why I was there and she said to learn hair, makeup and nails, that I will buy a form of ₦2,000 and pay ₦30,000.

I told her I don't have such amount of money and that since I will be coming in only on Saturdays and Sundays I was thinking it will be cheaper. Then she said she rarely opens on Sundays, which was my cue, this shop is not for me. She tried persuading me to be coming on Friday, I told her that will not be possible since I will be at work. 
I asked if she can accept  ₦15,000, she said she can't. I said I will get back to her and then I left. 

I got home and started thinking, basically, the third salon was out of my head. It's between the first and the second salon. I really would have loved to learn from the first hairstylist, my friend gave her a good endorsement. But the price was exorbitant.  I discussed this with my boyfriend and he suggested the second shop. 


On Friday, I called Jaykay salon (second shop hairstylist), told her I was coming in on Saturday. On Saturday morning JayKay called to say she was expecting me, truth be told I was a little be surprised and happy at the same time that she actually wanted me, even though it might be for her own benefit. I left the office and went to the salon to begin my salon apprenticeship.

Follow me on my salon apprenticeship journey on part 2 of this story.



to be continued...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOP 5 NIGERIAN NATURAL HAIR PERSONALITY

I PLANTED ALOE VERA TODAY!